L&A was lucky enough to travel to Austin, Texas this past weekend to celebrate Whole Food's 30th Birthday. What's better than a free trip to a city full of great design, to celebrate the birthday of the mecca of health food stores? Not much.
| THE SPOILS of Winning the Whole Food's Birthday Contest |
congrats again to Merit!
Birthday bash or no birthday bash, Austin is well worth the visit for anyone interested in good design (especially of the retro variety) and food, and when they come together.
- Visit the Flagship store of Whole Foods (obviously), and try one of their "Health Starts Here" foods...
- Have an Iced Chai while listening to Vampire Weekend at Halcyon Coffee / Bar.
- Visit uncommonOBJECTS in South Congress - an antique store sorted by color, complete with an ode to Century Schoolbook:
- Experience live music... everywhere. The streets of Austin are filled with every kind of music from Reggae to Bluegrass, from dance mash ups to Sunday Morning Jazz.
- Dance at Broken Spoke. Now this is the real thing. Country Music Dance Hall - need I say more? If you don't feel like sticking out like a sore thumb, make sure to pack your cowboy boots.
And if you don't own a pair of cowboy boots, make sure to pack someone who will ask you to dance.
- Run or Bike Around Town Lake on a Saturday Morning... Just when you think the loop is over, it probably isnt. Beware of ducks. But, the city vistas are worth the distance and threat of duck danger.
- And if it's particularly hot, jump into Barton Springs
If you're feeling like you need a little inspiration | music, design, cooking | a trip to Austin may be able to cure what ails you.